Jaw surgery corrects irregularities and aligns the jaw. It corrects the bite and may also improve facial appearance.
Surgery can correct underbites, overbites, crossbites, and facial balances such as asymmetry and too-small chins. Braces are placed before surgery to prepare your teeth for an ideal bite
when your surgery is complete.
Why is this necessary?
- It corrects bite and improves chewing.
- It corrects speech.
- Wear and breakdown of the teeth will be minimized.
- It improves the ability of the lips to close comfortably.
- Pain caused by temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and other jaw problems will be lessened.
- Facial injuries or birth defects may be corrected.
- It can relieve sleep apnea.
Is there another option?
If jaw surgery is recommended for you, it is because it is the ideal option for your situation. There may be a nonsurgical option, but the results may not be ideal.
How does it work?
We work with oral surgeon specialists within the Edmonton area. We’ll refer you and they’ll contact you for a consultation.