Tongue thrust appliances help stop the habit of pushing the tongue out when swallowing.
Tongue thrust appliances are cemented to the teeth, and stay in the mouth full time.
Why do I need this?
- Tongue thrusting causes changes to the bone and teeth, pushing the teeth outward.
- If not treated, the bone and teeth will continue to be pushed outward.
- Tongue thrusting can result in an open bite.
How does it work?
- The appliance is placed at the roof of the mouth, which stops the tongue from pushing forward against the teeth.
- The tongue is eventually ‘trained’ in the proper way to swallow.
- Braces might be needed after the appliance is removed to bring the teeth into proper position.